Current:Home > MyBurley Garcia|Paula Abdul accuses ‘American Idol’ producer Nigel Lythgoe of sexual assault in lawsuit -TradeGrid
Burley Garcia|Paula Abdul accuses ‘American Idol’ producer Nigel Lythgoe of sexual assault in lawsuit
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-07 07:26:43
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Paula Abdul has accused former “American Idol” producer Nigel Lythgoe of sexually assaulting her in the early 2000s when she was a judge on Burley Garciathe reality competition show, according to a new lawsuit.
The lawsuit filed Friday in Los Angeles also accuses Lythgoe of sexually assaulting Abdul after she left “American Idol” and became a judge on Lythgoe’s other competition show “So You Think You Can Dance.”
The Associated Press generally does not identify alleged victims of sexual assault unless they come forward publicly, as Abdul has done.
In a statement Saturday, Abdul’s lawyer Douglas Johnson applauded the singer and dancer for speaking out publicly.
“It was clearly a difficult decision to make, but Ms. Abdul knows that she stands both in the shoes and on the shoulders of many other similarly situated survivors, and she is determined to see that justice is done,” Johnson said.
Lythgoe said in a statement that he was “shocked and saddened” to hear of the allegations made by Abdul, who he said he considered a “dear” and “entirely platonic” friend.
“While Paula’s history of erratic behavior is well known, I can’t pretend to understand exactly why she would file a lawsuit that she must know is untrue,” Lythgoe said in the statement. “But I can promise that I will fight this appalling smear with everything I have.”
The lawsuit states Abdul remained silent for years about the alleged assaults out of fear of retaliation by “one of the most well-known producers of television competition shows.”
Before “American Idol” and “So You Think You Can Dance,” on which Lythgoe served as a judge for 16 seasons, he was a producer on the British show “Pop Idol,” which became a global franchise that includes the U.S. iteration starring Abdul.
According to the lawsuit, the first sexual assault occurred while Abdul and Lythgoe were on the road filming auditions for an earlier season of “American Idol,” which premiered in 2002.
Abdul says Lythgoe groped her in the elevator of their hotel after a day of filming and “began shoving his tongue down her throat.” Abdul pushed him away and ran to her hotel room when the elevator doors opened.
“In tears, Abdul quickly called one of her representatives to inform them of the assault,” the lawsuit says, “but ultimately decided not to take action for fear that Lythgoe would have her fired from American Idol.”
Abdul, a Grammy- and Emmy-winning artist, starred as a judge for the first eight seasons, leaving in 2009.
In 2015, Abdul became a judge on “So You Think You Can Dance,” appearing alongside Lythgoe.
Around that time, Abdul alleged in the lawsuit, Lythgoe forced himself on top of her during a dinner at his home and tried to kiss her. Abdul said she again pushed Lythgoe away and immediately left.
Abdul left the reality show after two seasons. She has not worked with Lythgoe since.
The lawsuit also accuses Lythgoe of taunting Abdul about the alleged assaults, saying to her years later that “they should celebrate” because “the statute of limitations had run.”
Abdul filed the suit days before the Dec. 31 deadline of a California law that opened a one-year window for victims to file lawsuits involving sexual abuse claims after the statute of limitations has run out.
More than 3,700 legal claims were filed under a similar law in New York that expired last month.
veryGood! (86)
Related
- Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
- Met Gala 2024 dress code, co-chairs revealed: Bad Bunny, JLo, Zendaya set to host
- Authorities are investigating the death of Foremost Group CEO Angela Chao in rural Texas
- Lawsuits ask courts to overturn Virginia’s new policies on the treatment of transgender students
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- 'I can't move': Pack of dogs bites 11-year-old boy around 60 times during attack in SC: Reports
- Officials plan to prevent non-flying public from accessing the Atlanta airport with new rules
- Montana Rep. Rosendale drops US Senate bid after 6 days, citing Trump endorsement of opponent
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- 2 former Didion Milling officials sentenced to 2 years in Wisconsin corn plant blast
Ranking
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- Ford CEO says company will rethink where it builds vehicles after last year’s autoworkers strike
- Kylian Mbappe has told PSG he will leave at the end of the season, AP sources say
- 16-year-old boy arrested in NYC subway shooting that killed 1 and wounded 5
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- Public utilities regulator joins race for North Dakota’s single U.S. House seat
- Mother, daughter killed by car that ran red light after attending Drake concert: Reports
- Israel launches series of strikes in Lebanon as tension with Iran-backed Hezbollah soars
Recommendation
Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
Tribes in Washington are battling a devastating opioid crisis. Will a multimillion-dollar bill help?
MLB power rankings: From 1 to 30, how they stack up entering spring training
Delay tactics and quick trips: Takeaways from two Trump case hearings in New York and Georgia
US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
Daytona 500 starting lineup set after Daytona Duels go to Christopher Bell, Tyler Reddick
Who is Lynette Woodard? Former Kansas star back in spotlight as Caitlin Clark nears record
Kansas City shooting survivor says daughter saw Chiefs parade gunman firing and spinning in a circle