Current:Home > MarketsInternational Ice Hockey Federation to mandate neck guards after the death of a player by skate cut -TradeGrid
International Ice Hockey Federation to mandate neck guards after the death of a player by skate cut
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-07 03:28:53
The International Ice Hockey Federation announced Monday it is making neck guards mandatory for all levels of competition in the tournaments it runs, including the Olympics and men’s and women’s world championships.
The mandate would not apply to professional leagues, including the NHL, which currently does not have any cut-proof safety requirements for players. Any sort of mandate in the NHL would require an agreement between the league and players’ union, which have been discussing skate blade safety for years.
The IIHF’s move comes after the death of American Adam Johnson, whose neck was cut by a skate blade during a game in England in late October. Johnson’s death at age 29 is being investigated, and the on-ice tragedy has sparked significant debate around the sport about the need for more protection of the neck, wrists and legs.
The exact date for the IIHF neck guard mandate to go into place is still to be determined, based on the supply of neck guards available.
“The IIHF remains in close contact with its suppliers to ensure they are able to respond to the current high demand,” the organization said. “Until the rule officially goes into effect, the IIHF continues to strongly recommend that neck laceration protectors are worn by all players performing in an IIHF competition.”
Before now, the IIHF initially had neck protection rules only for under-20 and under-18 play, so neck guards were already mandatory in tournaments like the world junior championship. The organization that governs hockey around the world decided to widen the order based on the recommendation of its medical committee.
The English Ice Hockey Association, which governs the sport below the Elite League where Johnson played, reacted to his death by requiring all players in England to wear neck guards beginning in 2024. Similar to the IIHF, the mandate was not immediate because of supply issues.
NHL VP of hockey operations Rod Pasma addressed general managers last month on cut-proof equipment. Pasma said players have far more options than a decade ago, including 10 or more choices for wrist, body and Achilles tendon/foot protection but fewer options for neck guards.
“In the neck, we’re getting there,” Pasma said. “We (did not have) many a month ago, but as it sits today, I think there’s up to eight companies on my desk waiting to be cleared, and of those eight there’s probably 12-14 options to wear, should they choose.”
Several NHL players, including Washington’s T.J. Oshie and Tampa Bay’s Cole Koepke, have donned neck guards for games this season in light of Johnson’s death.
“NHL guys, I think it’s super important that they know it’s going to be available,” Oshie said. “We’re grown men. If you don’t want to do it, you don’t. At least now, middle of the season, I don’t know if it’s necessary to mandate it, but you can make your own choices. I made my choice for my kids. I want to stick around from them. Just trying to decrease the chance of injury.”
___
AP NHL: https://apnews.com/hub/nhl
veryGood! (6491)
Related
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- Trump seeks to overturn criminal conviction, citing Supreme Court immunity decision
- Arthur Crudup: What to know about the bluesman who wrote Elvis’s first hit and barely got paid
- 16-year-old Quincy Wilson becomes youngest American male track Olympian ever
- The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
- Chipotle portion sizes can vary widely from one restaurant to another, analysis finds
- JoJo Siwa Curses Out Fans After Getting Booed at NYC Pride
- Man accused of stabbing Salman Rushdie rejects plea deal involving terrorism charge
- Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
- Attorneys face deadline to wrap Jan. 6 prosecutions. That could slide if Trump wins
Ranking
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- In wake of Supreme Court ruling, Biden administration tells doctors to provide emergency abortions
- Biden administration proposes rule to protect workers from extreme heat
- Melting of Alaska’s Juneau icefield accelerates, losing snow nearly 5 times faster than in the 1980s
- San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
- Utah State is firing football coach Blake Anderson, 2 other staffers after Title IX review
- Blind artist who was told you don't look blind has a mission to educate: All disabilities are a spectrum
- Woman found dead in Lake Anna, the third body found at the Virginia lake since May
Recommendation
The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
In New York’s Finger Lakes Region, Long-Haul Garbage Trucks Trigger Town Resolutions Against Landfill Expansion
Stingray that went viral after mysterious pregnancy dies, aquarium says
Gun policy debate now includes retail tracking codes in California
This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
U.S. agrees to help Panama deport migrants crossing Darién Gap
Angela Simmons apologizes for controversial gun-shaped purse at BET Awards: 'I don't mean no harm'
62-year-old woman arrested in death of Maylashia Hogg, a South Carolina teen mother-to-be