Current:Home > InvestAustralia to send military personnel to help protect Red Sea shipping but no warship -TradeGrid
Australia to send military personnel to help protect Red Sea shipping but no warship
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-07 00:11:04
CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — Australia will send 11 military personnel to support a U.S.-led mission to protect cargo shipping in the Red Sea, but it will not send a warship or plane, the defense minister said Thursday.
Defense Minister Richard Marles said Australia’s military needs to keep focused on the Pacific region.
The United States announced this week that several nations are creating a force to protect commerecial shipping from attack by drones and ballistic missiles fired from Houthi-controlled areas of Yemen.
Marles said 11 military personnel will be sent in January to Operation Prosperity Guardian’s headquarters in Bahrain, where five Australians are already posted.
“We won’t be sending a ship or a plane,” hs told Sky News television. “That said, we will be almost tripling our contribution to the combined maritime force.”
“We need to be really clear around our strategic focus, and our strategic focus is our region: the northeast Indian Ocean, the South China Sea, the East China Sea, the Pacific,” Marles added.
The U.S. and its allies are concerned by China’s growing assertiveness in the region.
Australia is one of the United States’ closest military allies. The U.S. Congress last week passed legislation allowing the sale of Virginia-class nuclear-powered submarines to Australia under a security pact that includes Britain.
Marles rejected opposition lawmakers’ criticism that a failure to send a warship as the United States had requested made Australia a less reliable partner and ally.
“That’s patently ridiculous,” Marles said.
The United States is aware of the scale of the Australian defense force and the need to maintain its focus on the Asia-Pacific region, he said.
“It is to state the obvious that to take a major asset and put it in the Middle East is to take a major asset away from what we’re doing in the immediate region,” Marles said.
Opposition defense spokesman Andrew Hastie called on Australia to send a warship.
“It’s in our national interest to contribute. If we want others to help us in a time of need, we need to step up and reciprocate now,” Hastie said.
Several cargo ships in the Red Sea have been damaged by the attacks. Multiple shipping companies have ordered their ships not enter the Bab el-Mandeb Strait until security is improved.
veryGood! (6)
Related
- Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
- Adrienne Bailon-Houghton Reveals How Cheetah Girls Was Almost Very Different
- Travis Barker Praises Pregnant Kourtney Kardashian's Healing Love After 30th Flight Since Plane Crash
- At the UN Water Conference, Running to Keep Up with an Ambitious 2030 Goal for Universal Water Rights
- As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
- Shawn Johnson Weighs In On Her Cringe AF Secret Life of the American Teenager Cameo
- Outdated EPA Standards Allow Oil Refineries to Pollute Waterways
- Amid Glimmers of Bipartisan Interest, Advocates Press Congress to Add Nuclear Power to the Climate Equation
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- Striking actors and studios fight over control of performers' digital replicas
Ranking
- Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
- To Save the Vaquita Porpoise, Conservationists Entreat Mexico to Keep Gillnets Out of the Northern Gulf of California
- Kate Spade 24-Hour Flash Deal: Get a $280 Convertible Crossbody Bag for Just $87
- Coal Ash Along the Shores of the Great Lakes Threatens Water Quality as Residents Rally for Change
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Pennsylvania Advocates Issue Intent to Sue Shell’s New Petrochemical Plant Outside Pittsburgh for Emissions Violations
- Texas Oilfield Waste Company Contributed $53,750 to Regulators Overseeing a Controversial Permit Application
- Study Documents a Halt to Deforestation in Brazil’s Atlantic Forest After Indigenous Communities Gain Title to Their Territories
Recommendation
Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
Texas Oilfield Waste Company Contributed $53,750 to Regulators Overseeing a Controversial Permit Application
This Waterproof JBL Speaker With 59,600+ 5-Star Reviews Is Only $40 on Prime Day 2023
In Northern Virginia, a Coming Data Center Boom Sounds a Community Alarm
Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
Be the Host With the Most When You Add These 18 Prime Day Home Entertaining Deals to Your Cart
Elon Musk launches new AI company, called xAI, with Google and OpenAI researchers
Barbie has biggest opening day of 2023, Oppenheimer not far behind