Current:Home > StocksSignalHub-Army said Maine shooter should not have gun, requested welfare check -TradeGrid
SignalHub-Army said Maine shooter should not have gun, requested welfare check
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-07 01:39:30
Before last week's mass shooting in Maine that left 18 dead and SignalHub13 wounded, the U.S. Army says suspect Robert Card's commander was told he should not have access to an Army-issued weapon, and that it asked the local sheriff’s office to perform a welfare check.
In a statement to ABC News on Monday, Lt. Col. Ruth Castro, a U.S. Army spokesperson, said that following his mental health hospitalization and evaluation in mid-July, Card's commander was told he "should not have a weapon, handle ammunition, and not participate in live fire activity."
The Army also determined he should not be put in deployable status "due to concerns over his well-being," according to the statement.
MORE: Maine shooting timeline: How the mass shootings in Lewiston unfolded
The order only applied to U.S. Army-issued weapons and ammunition and not to Card's personal weapons cache because they were owned in a civilian capacity.
The Army also said Monday that the U.S. Army Reserve's surgeon’s office and the U.S. Army Reserve’s medical management team "made multiple attempts to contact Card."
In September, out of an abundance of caution and concern for his safety, Card’s reserve unit requested a health and welfare check that was carried out by the Sagadahoc County Sheriff’s Office, she added.
"The Army takes all allegations seriously. Due to an ongoing Army investigation, we cannot go into any further details," Castro said in a statement.
The Sagadahoc County Sheriff’s Office said Monday night, the department received an email from Card's Army Reserve unit in Saco asking for a wellness check.
A deputy was sent out to perform the check on Sept. 15 and 16, but Card wasn’t at home, the Sheriff’s Office said.
A day later, a deputy made contact with Card’s unit commander, who said he had no more weapons from the reserve, per the Sheriff’s office. The department said it also reached Card’s family.
“On Sep. 17, 2023, our deputy made contact with Mr. Card’s brother, who told our office that he would work to secure any firearms that Mr. Card had access to. Our deputy also asked that the family call back if they believed that Mr. Card need an evaluation or was a risk to himself or others," the Sheriff's office said in a statement to ABC News.
MORE: Maine mass shooting live updates
Last week, a U.S. Defense Department official confirmed to ABC News that Card was "behaving erratically" while deployed over the summer with his Army Reserve Unit to Camp Smith Training Center in upstate New York to support summer training for West Point cadets.
Card’s superior officers informed garrison staff at the training site about his behavior on July 17, the defense official said.
"Out of concern for his safety, the unit requested that law enforcement be contacted," the official said.
New York State Police officers responded and transported Card to Keller Army Community Hospital at the U.S. Military Academy for medical evaluation, the official said.
Card allegedly threatened other soldiers with violence and was "command directed" to go to the hospital for the evaluation, according to a source briefed and with direct knowledge of the incident.
Maine Gov. Janet Mills confirmed Card was found dead last Friday night of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound.
veryGood! (85)
prev:Trump's 'stop
next:Travis Hunter, the 2
Related
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Teddy Riner lives out his dream of gold in front of Macron, proud French crowd
- Who's golden? The final round of men's golf at Paris Olympics sets up to be fascinating
- US and Russia tout prisoner swap as a victory. But perceptions of the deal show stark differences
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- Thistle & Nightshade bookstore pushes 'the boundaries of traditional representation'
- TikTok’s Most Viral Products Are on Sale at Amazon Right Now Starting at $4.99
- What to watch: Workin' on our Night moves
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- 'Terror took over': Mexican survivors of US shooting share letters 5 years on
Ranking
- Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
- San Francisco Giants' Blake Snell pitches no-hitter vs. Cincinnati Reds
- Paris Olympics highlights: Simone Biles, Katie Ledecky win more gold for Team USA
- 1 child killed after wind gust sends bounce house airborne at baseball game
- Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
- Is Sha'Carri Richardson running today? Olympics track and field schedule, times for Aug. 3
- Monday through Friday, business casual reigns in US offices. Here's how to make it work.
- Caeleb Dressel isn't the same swimmer he was in Tokyo but has embraced a new perspective
Recommendation
Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
Coca-Cola to pay $6 billion in IRS back taxes case while appealing judge’s decision
How Noah Lyles plans to become track's greatest showman at Paris Olympics and beyond
Why It Ends With Us Author Colleen Hoover Is Confused by Critics of Blake Lively's Costumes
Bodycam footage shows high
2 Georgia National Guard soldiers die in separate noncombat incidents in Iraq
MrBeast’s giant reality competition faces safety complaints from initial contestants
Why M. Night Shyamalan's killer thriller 'Trap' is really a dad movie