Current:Home > InvestJohnathan Walker:New Mexico judge weighs whether to compel testimony from movie armorer in Alec Baldwin trial -TradeGrid
Johnathan Walker:New Mexico judge weighs whether to compel testimony from movie armorer in Alec Baldwin trial
Poinbank View
Date:2025-04-07 00:08:04
SANTA FE,Johnathan Walker N.M. (AP) — A New Mexico judge is scheduled to consider at a Friday hearing whether to compel a movie set armorer to testify at actor Alec Baldwin’s involuntary manslaughter trial for the fatal shooting nearly three years ago of a cinematographer during rehearsal for the Western movie “Rust.”
Prosecutors are seeking a court order for Hannah Gutierrez-Reed to testify with immunity for her against related prosecution. Gutierrez-Reed was convicted in March of involuntary manslaughter for her role in the shooting of Halyna Hutchins at a movie-set ranch.
Baldwin figured prominently at that previous trial, which highlighted gun-safety protocols and his authority as a co-producer and the lead actor on “Rust.”
“The jury should hear all of the information Ms. Gutierrez has regarding Mr. Baldwin, both exculpatory and inculpatory,” special prosecutors Mari Morrissey and Erlinda Johnson said in court filings. “Counsel for both sides should be permitted to fully cross-examine Ms. Gutierrez.”
Baldwin and Gutierrez-Reed both oppose efforts to compel her testimony.
At a pretrial interview in May, Gutierrez-Reed exercised her Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination and declined to answer questions. Her attorneys say compelling her to testify, even with immunity, would “virtually eliminate” the possibility of a fair appeal and possible retrial. She also is fighting a separate charge of carrying a firearm into a Santa Fe bar weeks before the fatal shooting.
Also during Friday’s hearing, Judge Mary Marlowe Sommer is expected to weigh two defense requests to scuttle the trial on arguments that Baldwin had no reason to believe the gun could contain live ammunition and that it was heavily damaged during FBI forensic testing before it could be examined for possible modifications that might exonerate the actor.
“The government took the most critical evidence in this case — the firearm — and destroyed it by repeatedly and pointlessly striking it with a mallet,” defense attorneys said in court filings. “Government agents knew that the firearm would not survive.”
During the fatal rehearsal on Oct. 21, 2021, Baldwin was pointing the gun at Hutchins when it went off, killing her and wounding director Joel Souza, who survived. Baldwin says he pulled back the gun’s hammer but did not pull the trigger.
Prosecutors plan to present evidence at trial that they say shows the firearm “could not have fired absent a pull of the trigger” and was working properly before the shooting.
At Gutierrez-Reed’s trial, an FBI expert testified the gun was fully functional with safety features when it arrived at an FBI laboratory. The expert said he had to strike the fully cocked gun with a mallet and break it for the gun to fire without depressing the trigger.
Baldwin has pleaded not guilty to the involuntary manslaughter charge, which carries a maximum sentence of 18 months in prison.
Marlowe Sommer previously rejected another Baldwin motion for dismissal, ruling that the grand jury was able to make an independent judgement on the indictment.
Last year special prosecutors dismissed an involuntary manslaughter charge against Baldwin, saying they were informed the gun might have been modified before the shooting and malfunctioned. But they pivoted after receiving a new analysis of the gun and successfully pursued a grand jury indictment.
veryGood! (13)
Related
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Ellie Goulding and Husband Caspar Jopling Break Up After 4 Years of Marriage
- Shop Madewell's Best-Sellers For Less With Up To 70% Off Fan-Favorite Finds
- Watch this missing cat come wandering home
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- ‘Totally cold’ is not too cold for winter swimmers competing in a frozen Vermont lake
- Celebrity owl Flaco dies a year after becoming beloved by New York City for zoo escape
- New Jersey beefs up its iconic Jersey Shore boardwalks with $100M in repair or rebuilding funds
- The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
- Ken Jennings on 'Jeopardy!' Tournament of Champions, 'misogynistic' Mayim Bialik critics
Ranking
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- Olympic champion Suni Lee finds she's stronger than she knew after facing health issue
- Bachelor Nation’s Jared Haibon and Pregnant Ashley Iaconetti Reveal Sex of Baby No. 2
- Avast sold privacy software, then sold users' web browsing data, FTC alleges
- Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
- Georgia bill aims to protect religious liberty. Opponents say it’s a license to discriminate
- Judge rules against NCAA, says NIL compensation rules likely violate antitrust law, harm athletes
- GM suspends sales of Chevy Blazer EV due to quality issues
Recommendation
'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
Man charged with killing Indianapolis police officer found guilty but mentally ill
The Second City, named for its Chicago location, opens an outpost in New York
Remains identified as Oregon teen Sandra Young over half a century after she went missing
Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
Simone Biles is not competing at Winter Cup gymnastics meet. Here's why.
In his annual letter, Warren Buffett tells investors to ignore Wall Street pundits
Celebrity owl Flaco dies a year after becoming beloved by New York City for zoo escape