Current:Home > MyBurley Garcia|Alec Baldwin Pleads Not Guilty to Involuntary Manslaughter in Rust Shooting Case -TradeGrid
Burley Garcia|Alec Baldwin Pleads Not Guilty to Involuntary Manslaughter in Rust Shooting Case
Chainkeen Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 00:07:48
Alec Baldwin is Burley Garciamaintaining his innocence.
Weeks after the Emmy winner's involuntary manslaughter indictment was reinstated by a grand jury, he pleaded not guilty to charges relating to the fatal on-set shooting of Rust cinematographer Halyna Hutchins. Court documents obtained by E! News show that Baldwin entered his plea at a Santa Fe court Jan. 31 while also waiving his right to an arraignment. The records also show that 65-year-old was granted permission to remain free without having to post bail.
Hutchins, 42, was fatally shot in October 2021 during a rehearsal on the set of Rust by a lead projectile fired from a vintage revolver used as a prop that Baldwin was holding. In February 2023, Baldwin pleaded not guilty to involuntary manslaughter in the case. The charge was dropped that April after his lawyers accused prosecutors of committing "a basic legal error" by charging him under a version of a firearm-enhancement statute that did not exist at the time of the shooting.
The grand jury's Jan. 19 indictment, obtained by E! News, charged Baldwin with two different counts of involuntary manslaughter—both of which are felonies. One includes "negligent use of a firearm" and the other is "without due caution or circumspection"—which also alleges that he caused Hutchins' death "by an act committed with the total disregard or indifference for the safety of others."
The indictment also states that the actor can only be convicted of one of the counts. If he is, he faces a maximum sentence of 18 months in prison, NBC News reported.
After the indictment was issued, Baldwin's attorneys Luke Nikas and Alex Spiro told E! News, "We look forward to our day in court."
Baldwin has long denied responsibility in the shooting, which also wounded director Joel Souza. In a December 2021 interview with ABC News, the 30 Rock alum insisted he hadn't pulled the trigger on the gun and said he was told the firearm didn't contain any live rounds and that it was loaded with only blanks.
However, a 2023 forensic report commissioned by the prosecution and viewed by the New York Times—following its release last August through a public records request—determined that Baldwin must have pulled the trigger for the weapon to go off.
In October, prosecutors Kari Morrissey and Jason Lewis said they planned to bring the case to grand jury.
"After extensive investigation over the past several months, additional facts have come to light that we believe show Mr. Baldwin has criminal culpability in the death of Halyna Hutchins and the shooting of Joel Souza," they said in a statement to multiple outlets. "We believe the appropriate course of action is to permit a panel of New Mexico citizens to determine from here whether Mr. Baldwin should be held over for criminal trial."
While production on Rust was halted after the shooting, filming of the movie ultimately resumed early last year and wrapped in May.
"Last day of filming RUST in Montana," Alec wrote on Instagram at the time, alongside a photo of costars Patrick Scott McDermott and Frances Fisher. "It's been a long and difficult road. But we reach the end of the trail today. Congratulations to Joel, Bianca and the entire cast and crew.
Nothing less than a miracle."
veryGood! (843)
Related
- Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
- Orville Peck makes queer country for everyone. On ‘Stampede,’ stars like Willie Nelson join the fun
- Best of 'ArtButMakeItSports': Famed Social media account dominates Paris Olympics' first week
- Ryan Murphy keeps his Olympic medal streak alive in 100 backstroke
- Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
- Tesla recalling more than 1.8M vehicles due to hood issue
- The Last Supper controversy at the 2024 Paris Olympics reeks of hypocrisy
- 2024 Olympics: Swimmer Ryan Murphy's Pregnant Wife Bridget Surprises Him by Revealing Sex of Baby at Race
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- Disney Store's new Halloween costumes include princesses, 'Inside Out 2' emotions
Ranking
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- New Jersey judge rejects indictment against officer charged with shooting man amid new evidence
- Law school grads could earn licenses through work rather than bar exam in some states
- Team USA to face plenty of physicality as it seeks eighth consecutive gold
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- Researchers face funding gap in effort to study long-term health of Maui fire survivors
- Earthquake reported near Barstow, California Monday afternoon measuring 4.9
- Olympics 2024: Brody Malone's Dad Will Bring You to Tears With Moving Letter to Gymnast
Recommendation
Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
Kim Johnson, 2002 'Survivor: Africa' runner-up, dies at 79: Reports
Investigation finds at least 973 Native American children died in abusive US boarding schools
International Human Rights Commission Condemns ‘Fortress Conservation’
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
Earthquake reported near Barstow, California Monday afternoon measuring 4.9
Aggressive Algae Bloom Clogged Water System, Prompting Boil Water Advisory in D.C. and Parts of Virginia
Shannon Sharpe, Chad Johnson: We'll pay US track stars $25K for winning Olympics gold