Current:Home > NewsPredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center:Yemen's Houthis threaten escalation after American strike using 5,000-pound bunker-buster bomb -TradeGrid
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center:Yemen's Houthis threaten escalation after American strike using 5,000-pound bunker-buster bomb
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 00:07:47
Hodeida,PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center Yemen — Yemen's Iran-backed Houthis on Friday threatened to escalate attacks on Red Sea shipping after overnight strikes by the United States and Britain that the rebels said killed 16 people.
Three officials told CBS News national security correspondent David Martin on Friday that the U.S. used a 5,000-pound bunker-buster bomb as part of the joint strike against Houthi targets. The GBU-72 bomb was dropped by a U.S. Air Force jet in an effort to destroy an underground Houthi facility. One official said the bomb hit the target, but it wasn't yet clear if it had been destroyed or if there were any civilian casualties.
The Houthis, who control much of Yemen, said 16 people were killed and 40 more wounded, including an unspecified number of civilians, but there was no independent confirmation of those numbers. If confirmed, it would be one of the deadliest strikes since the U.S. and the U.K. started their campaign in January against the Houthis, whose rocket attacks have severely disrupted the vital Red Sea trade route.
- Russian media claims Houthis have hypersonic missiles to target U.S. ships
The Iran-backed Houthis have carried out scores of drone and missile attacks on vessels in the Red Sea and Gulf of Aden, including U.S. warships, since November, citing solidarity with Palestinians in the Gaza Strip over the Israel-Hamas war.
The U.S. Central Command, CENTCOM, said 13 Houthi sites were targeted in the latest strikes.
"The American-British aggression will not prevent us from continuing our military operations," Houthi official Mohammed al-Bukhaiti said on X, formerly Twitter, vowing to "meet escalation with escalation."
In response, the rebels launched a missile attack on the U.S. aircraft carrier USS Dwight D. Eisenhower in the Red Sea, according to Houthi spokesman Yahya Saree, who added that the group "will not hesitate to respond directly and immediately to every new aggression on Yemeni territories."
U.S. military officials did not immediately comment on the Houthi claim to have targeted the USS Eisenhower.
Yemen's Houthi-controlled Al-Masirah TV network broadcast a video showing bloodied men wounded in a purported strike on a building housing a radio station in the western port city of Hodeida. The channel showed victims receiving treatment at a hospital, although the authenticity of the images could not be independently verified.
A hospital employee in Hodeida said many militants were among those killed and wounded in the attack but was unable to give exact figures.
The British defense ministry said its warplanes launched strikes in "a joint operation with U.S. forces against Houthi military facilities."
The ministry said intelligence indicated two sites near Hodeida were involved in the attacks on shipping, "with a number of buildings identified as housing drone ground control facilities and providing storage for very long-range drones, as well as surface-to-air weapons."
Another "command and control" site had been identified further south, it said in a statement.
British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak said "the strikes were taken in self-defense against an ongoing threat," adding the rebels had carried out 197 attacks since November.
CENTCOM said the strikes were "necessary to protect our forces, ensure freedom of navigation, and make international waters safer and more secure."
Iran condemned the U.S.-U.K. military action, saying it aims to "spread insecurity in the region."
The "governments of the United States and the United Kingdom are responsible for the consequences of these crimes against the Yemeni people," said its foreign ministry spokesman, Nasser Kanani.
Since January, the United States and Britain have launched repeated strikes on Houthi targets in Yemen in response to the rebels' harassment of shipping. In February, the Houthis held a mass funeral in Sanaa for 17 fighters they said were killed in U.S. and British strikes.
The U.S. and British strikes have not stamped out the campaign by the rebels, who have vowed to target American and British vessels as well as all ships heading to Israeli ports.
The Houthis also said they had shot down a U.S. MQ-9 Reaper drone with a surface-to-air missile, claiming it was the sixth such aircraft they have downed in recent months.
- In:
- War
- Iran
- Red Sea
- Houthi Movement
- Hamas
- Israel
- U.S. Navy
- U.S. Air Force
- Yemen
- Gaza Strip
- Missile Launch
veryGood! (64538)
Related
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- The White House is avoiding one word when it comes to Silicon Valley Bank: bailout
- BET Awards 2023: See Every Star on the Red Carpet
- Warming Trends: Telling Climate Stories Through the Courts, Icy Lakes Teeming with Life and Climate Change on the Self-Help Shelf
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- The Greek Island Where Renewable Energy and Hybrid Cars Rule
- Israeli President Isaac Herzog addresses Congress, emphasizing strength of U.S. ties
- Jon Hamm Marries Mad Men Costar Anna Osceola in California Wedding
- New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
- To Stop Line 3 Across Minnesota, an Indigenous Tribe Is Asserting the Legal Rights of Wild Rice
Ranking
- Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
- Two Years After a Huge Refinery Fire in Philadelphia, a New Day Has Come for its Long-Suffering Neighbors
- What to know about the Silicon Valley Bank collapse, takeover and fallout
- Biden’s Pick for the EPA’s Top Air Pollution Job Finds Himself Caught in the Crossfire
- Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
- White House targets junk fees in apartment rentals, promises anti-price gouging help
- Save 48% on a Ninja Foodi XL 10-In-1 Air Fry Smart Oven That Does the Work of Several Appliances
- Racial bias often creeps into home appraisals. Here's what's happening to change that
Recommendation
'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
Apple iPad Flash Deal: Save 30% on a Product Bundle With Accessories
Pregnant Jana Kramer Reveals Sex of Her and Allan Russell's Baby
$58M in federal grants aim to help schools, day care centers remove lead from drinking water
A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
A Furious Industry Backlash Greets Moves by California Cities to Ban Natural Gas in New Construction
In-N-Out to ban employees in 5 states from wearing masks
The Fires That Raged on This Greek Island Are Out. Now Northern Evia Faces a Long Road to Recovery